The City began as a Barangay called Sawangan (now Legazpi Port) whose inhabitants were mostly fishermen and farmers. From 1587 to 1616, the spiritual administration of the town was under the Franciscan friars of the DOCTRINA OF CAGSAWA (now Daraga). Officially, the Royal Decree dated 22 September 1856 gave the name LEGAZPI to the ancient village of Sawangan, to perpetuate the memory of the Adelantado Don Miguel Lopez de Legazpi. Don Lorenzo Hac was the first elected Gobernadorcillo. Rev. Camilo Abainza was acting Parish Priest.
|St. Gregory Church|